Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Vintage Cards

In my last post, I talked about how vintage holiday decorations would be a great way to introduce the topic of US and foreign holidays into the ESL/EFL classroom.  Another way to introduce this topic (or possibly to expand upon it) would be the usage of vintage holiday cards, such as those pictured below.
Vintage Valentine's Day Cards
Vintage cards are pretty easy to find at thrift stores and they would be really fun to use in the ESL/EFL classroom.  After completing a lesson on US holidays, students could complete a project in which they create their own greeting card using what they have learned about the holidays.  Many cards, including the vintage card in the center of the photograph above, use literary devices such as rhyme or alliteration in their text.  The ESL/EFL teacher could introduce students to these literary devices and encourage the students to use them in their card-making assignment.  In this way, the card-making assignment could incorporate both culture (US holidays) and a literary component (rhyme/alliteration).  Most importantly, the cards would be a great way to encourage and foster the creativity of our ESL/EFL students.

In my next post, I'm going to talk about unique inventions.  So, is there anyone out there who knows what this contraption is used for?
What is this used for?

2 comments:

  1. No idea! BUt I am very curious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just guess this could be something to mix powder with going into air ....hard...

    ReplyDelete